Install a seamless concrete floor coating resistant to bacteria, high foot traffic, and a rigorous cleaning schedule. The substrate will need to be leveled and raised at least ¾”.
The cafeteria in New Balance’s Office HQ received a new seamless concrete floor coating that resists bacteria, scrapes, scuffs, impacts, abrasions and cleaning chenicals. The finished floor is perfectly level and the correct thickness. The floor’s bright white color adds to the cleanliness and modern feel of the cafeteria.
New Balance Footwear Office Headquarters is located in Boston, MA. They required a new floor for their building's cafeteria. The floors of cafeterias in general have several requirements the need to be met. They need to be bacteria and moisture resistant. The need to be tough—resist impacts, scraps, abrasions, and high foot traffic. They alos need to last. In the case of New Balance’s cafeteria the floor needed to be raised and leveled.
With these requirements in mind the contractor, Madstone Construction, chose Duraamen high quality, professional concrete flooring products.
To raise and level the floor Madstone installed a self-leveling concrete underlayment (Param 4500). Param 4500 is perfect for raising and leveling any flooring area as it is self-leveling, can be applied up to 2” thick in one coat, does not shrink while curing, and can be walked on in 3-4 hours after application.
With the substrate raised and leveled, it was time to install the seamless epoxy floor coating. Duraamen’s Perdure Self-leveling Epoxy (SLE) flooring system was used. The system consists of an epoxy primer (Perdure E02), the epoxy coating (Perdure E10), and a protective polyurethane sealer/top coat (Perdure U46). In this case the client chose a gloss finish so Perdure U46 was used. One may also opt for a matte finish in which case our Perdure U45 would be substituted.
One of the challenges with this project was that fact that the floor had to be white. Installing a white epoxy floor coating is challenging for many reasons, above all the fact that it may yellow over time due to UV light. That’s why it was so important to use a quality UV resistant topcoat like Duraamen’s U46, that protects the floor’s color so it will not fade or yellow.
Param 4500 Self-levling Underlayment
- No trowelling required; it is self-leveling
- Contains no protein additives; no gypsum
- Maintains workability for 25 minutes
- Does not promote the growth of mold or mildew
- Very fluid, ideal for pouring and pumping
- Non-shrink; does not cause dusting
- Compatible with most flooring adhesives
- High early strength, walkable in just 3-4 hours
- No dangerous emissions or irritating fumes
Perdure E10 Self-leveling Epoxy Coating
- Good troweling properties when used with Duraamen self –leveling epoxy mortar and quartz systems
- Excellent colour retention when used as a topcoat with Düraamen flooring systems
- Good troweling properties when used in mortar systems
- Low odor for use in occupied areas
- Available in fast cure systems
- USDA approved for food handling applications
Perdure U46 Polyurethane Topcoat / Sealer
- Non-yellowing wter-based formula
- Low odor during application and cure
- Fast dry and re-coat time
- Low VOC
- Excellent adhesion
- Excellent abrasion resistance
$12–$14 sq. ft. ( ½” thick coverage) depending on your geographic location and the thickness of the underlayment. Thickness is determined by the condition of existing substrate. Is the substrate new, old, level, good condition, deteriorated, plywood or gypsum?
The cost of this flooring system (all products needed to complete the project) is even less if you’re willing to do-it-yourself: $4.50 - $5.00 sq. ft.
The cost is comparable to other types of flooring including:
- Ceramic or Porcelain Tile
- Commercial Carpet
Madstone Construction successfully installed a long lasting seamless epoxy floor for CBT Architects in New Balance’s HQ cafeteria on time and on budget. No matter how many people walk over the cafeteria floor, spill or drop things on it, and no matter how many janitors clean it, the floor will last for many years to come.