Harold Works LLC of Oakland, CA recently completed a flooring project for Satrun Café in Berkeley, CA using Param 5500 and Reflector Lumiere, metallic epoxy flooring system over existing ceramic tiles. Few months ago Jason Phares of Harold Works called me an inquired about installing Lumiere flooring in Satrun Café. Like many other contractors, Jason was stressed about removing the ceramic tiles and installing Lumiere flooring. We suggested him going over the tiles with self leveling cocnrete, Param 5500. Obviously, he was not very sure because the costs involved in installing a self leveling concrete at 3/8 inch thickness over 3000 sq.ft.!
Jason sat down with the owner of the Saturn Cafe, Ms. Tristan Nathe to discuss the options and they also did some number crunching. They realized that it is economical and faster to cover the ceramic tiles with self leveling concrete, Param 5500 rather remove them and grind the substrate so that it is able to accept the Lumiere flooring system.
- Prepare the ceramic tile to accept self leveling concrete. It usually means – removing any sealers/wax/oil etc. and creating a profile of CSP3-4.
- Pour the self leveling concrete, Param 5500 at 3/8″ thickness.
- After allowing the self leveling concrete to cure for 24 hours, prime with a 100% solids epoxy primer, Perdure E02.
- Then, apply the Reflector Lumiere metallic epoxy system. To create the marbleized effects, Bright Silver and Antique Silver colors were used.
- Finally, top coat it with polyaspartic topcoat, Perdure P72.
About Satrun Cafe - They offer traditional American diner food with all the salty, sweet yumminess you love, but prepared in a health-conscious manner. I believe the food is all Vegeterian!
Please check out our project gallery for great design options. Feel free to contact us to discuss your project.