Polishable Concrete Overlays – Testing with Lavina 25L Pro by Superabrasives Inc.

polished concrete overlay

Polishing self leveling concrete

Polished concrete floors have become immensely popular in the past 4-5 years, not only for their clean, sleek and contemporary looks, but for its effectiveness, sustainability and durability. While many concrete surfaces can be polished to a certain extent, sometimes we all run into situations where the concrete substrate is so worn out or out of level that grinding and polishing such surfaces becomes not viable economically. In such situations, self-leveling concrete overlays can be installed to level the floors and subsequently polished to create a pristine concrete floor.

Attaching hybrid grinding pads to Lavina

Attaching hybrid pads to Lavina

The polishing of concrete overlay is a multi-step process. The number of steps in polishing a concrete overlay depends on –

  1. Self-leveling concrete overlay
  2. Time of start of polishing after the concrete overlay is installed
  3. Polishing equipment
  4. Grinding and polishing pads
  5. Ambient temperature and humidity

Polishing self leveling concrete, Param 6000

Polishing Concrete Overlay, Param 6000

Earlier this week we tested polishing Param 6000 with Lavina 25L Pro by Superabrasives Inc. Mr. Nikolay Nikolaev, VP Marketing and Sales of Superabrasives assisted us in testing Param 6000 with planetary grinder Lavina 25L Pro. The observations of the two days of testing process are enumerated below –

  1. Please note that for polishable concrete overlay, a very flat floor, free from ripples and smoother marks is necessary.
  2. Polishing after 6 hours of pouring Param 6000 – The surface looked pretty good when 100 grit hybrid pads were used but 50 grit hybrid pads were very aggressive after 6 hours of the pour.
  3. Polishing after 20 hours of pouring Param 6000 – The following steps gave the best results –
    1. Start with flexible electroplated pads with 70 grit and then followed with 120 grit pads
    2. The third step is to go to 200 grit hybrid pads
    3. After using 200 grit hybrid pads, densify the surface with Hermetix, colloidal silica based concrete densifier. To find out the effect of densifying the surface, 75% of the area was sprayed with Hermetix and the remaining 25% of the area was left as it is. After waiting for 30 minutes after the densifier was sprayed, the following steps were taken.
    4. Started polishing with 200 grit resin pads followed by 400, 800, 1500 and 3500 grit resin polishing pads.
    5. The areas that were densified had clarity in reflection than the areas that were not densified.

You might also be interested in…

Why Epoxy Coating Is Perfect for Your Garage?

Epoxy floor coatings are considered to be the perfect long term investment for garage floors. The coating acts as a protective layer for the floor and saves it from the ...

Read more

Helping Your Clients to Add Value to Their Businesses with Decorative Concrete Flooring

Concrete is not often the first flooring option that comes to mind for many clients when they are either building or remodeling an office or home. This is because concrete ...

Read more

What are different types of concrete floor coatings?

Perdure SLE – New Balance cafe, Boston, MA The porous surface of concrete flooring allows water and soluble contaminants to penetrate into a structure, which can lead to premature degradation. ...

Read more

Flooring Options for Cold Storage Facilities

Flooring for cold storage facilities such as dairies, laboratories, grocery stores, cafeterias or restaurants must be able to withstand cold or freezing temperatures, be easy to clean for hygiene, tolerate ...

Read more