Unless you are a resinous flooring professional or a chemist, it can be hard to differentiate between Polyaspartic, Epoxy or Polyurethane coatings. In many resinous flooring projects they are combined in a flooring system. Each one of these resins serves a purpose.
Nowadays, machine manufacturers, owners of commercial and industrial premises, car refinishing shops and other relevant decision-makers want coatings that can speed up the painting operation while at the same time deliver the high performance known from polyurethane coatings.
Is a Polyaspartic floor better than an Epoxy or Polyurethane floor?
Consider these comparisons:
- Typically Epoxy or Polyurethane floors can take 4 or 5 days to install.
- Polyaspartics can cure in three to four hours.
- Because Polyaspartics cure so fast, they can save you a bundle on labor costs.
- Epoxy resins have a tendency to yellow over time and may not be color-fast.
- Polyaspartics are UV stable and do not yellow.
- For proper curing without any curing defects, epoxy coatings must be installed at temperatures around 55 degrees F.
- Polyaspartics can be applied around freezing temperatures, making them perfect for walk-in freezers and the like.
- Epoxy resins less flexible and less abrasion resistant.
- Polyurethane coatings perform very similar to Polyaspartics but they take longer time to cure (at least 24 hours) and need to be applied very thin (4 to 6 mils per coat)
- Polyurethane coatings are used mostly top coats over Epoxy coatings. They cannot be used as a complete system in itself.
- Polyaspartic coatings can be used as top coats over Epoxy coatings (to save costs) or they can be used a complete flooring system.
The two main benefits of Polyaspartic based flooring systems are increased productivity and long-term cost efficiency. The gain in productivity over conventional coating technologies can be achieved thanks to two properties of polyaspartic coatings:
- Significantly faster drying times at ambient temperature than conventional Epoxy or Polyurethane technologies, which allows a faster return to service.
- For high film build applications, a much greater film thickness in a single cooperation is possible, which in practice means one layer can be saved.
Duraamen Industrial and Polished Concrete Flooring Products are designed to provide labor saving and long lasting flooring solutions. Talk to an expert about your flooring challenges...Please Call + 1 973 230 1301 / eMail Us